July 11, 2010

What's in a Name?

If you've ever had the task of naming your baby, a new puppy, or maybe even your own business, you can relate to the frustration & excitement of coming up with a unique, individual name that you will be pleased with and not tire of. Coming up with the name of my first ever blog was similar to naming my children: making lists, e-mailing mom my top choices, annoying my husband any time a new name came to me, and calling my friend Mandy to get her opinion.

Some of the names were quickly dismissed, such as Sweet T. A friend of my from school calls me Sweet T, because my name (obviously) starts with a T. However, after doing a google search on this name it appears there is another female out there using this name as her, uh, Stage Name. And by "stage" I am referring to the kind that has a pole and perhaps some fake smoke for special effects. Other names were good possibilities, such as Talkative, and Sometimes Tacky, Tricia.


After two days I was finally ready to just settle on a name to get the task over with. Then last night, shortly before midnight, I was sitting at the dining room table with the computer and decided to make it simple. What does my life consist of? I glanced around the room and saw a Tonka dump truck sitting by my feet with a bed full of Hayden's rock collection. Right inside the back door I could see where sand had been tracked in, most likely on the bare feet of Jarrett after he'd been playing in the sandbox. On the kitchen counter was a bug habitat that's currently housing a cocoon, as well as a plastic baggie full of locust shells that Hayden has been gathering.



Then it came to me. My life consists of dirt, bugs, and a house full of love. So the blog name was born. Finally.

I hope you will enjoy reading this blog. For years my father has been encouraging me to share my writing, and any of my friends will tell you I certainly have a lot to say. I have no definite plans for a "theme" of my blog, it will most likely consist of a potpourri of stories relating to my family, daily life, school, and the struggles of raising a child with special needs.



That will all come in time, but for now a name has been chosen and a blog is born!














No comments:

Post a Comment